With our air fryer frozen shrimp tempura recipe, you no longer have to wait to get to your favorite Asian restaurant to enjoy this tasty appetizer or dinner entree. We are going to show you just how quick and easy it is to take your favorite brand of precooked frozen tempura shrimp and cook them up in your air fryer for an Asian inspired seafood meal that is ready in just 15 minutes!
Air Fryer Tempura Shrimp
While we can’t help you recreate your favorite hibachi experience, with our tempura shrimp in air fryer recipe we can help you enjoy the delectable flavors of this classic Asian take on fried shrimp.
Known for being light and crispy, shrimp tempura is a dish that goes quickly in our house as we all thoroughly enjoy shrimp in pretty much any variety whether it’s fried, sauteed, or served on a kabob stick.
Why You’ll Love This!
- A quick preheat of your air fryer followed by just 10 minutes means your air fryer shrimp tempura will go from idea to reality in just 15 minutes!
- We love using the Trader Joe’s brand of frozen tempura shrimp, but our air fryer shrimp tempura recipe will also work with Seapac brand frozen shrimp as well as most others currently available.
- Make a little or make a lot, this tempura shrimp air fryer recipe can easily make a single serving of frozen shrimp pieces or you can make several boxes of precooked shrimp – the choice is yours!
- Enjoy Asian-inspired foods in the comfort of your own home.
Tempura Shrimp in Air Fryer Ingredients
Whether you prefer Trader Joe’s brand, Seapak, or something else entirely, it’s time to grab a box of your favorite frozen shrimp to create this air fryer shrimp tempura recipe.
- 1 lb Trader Joes Shrimp Tempura – that’s the brand we used, any brand of your choice will work!
- An Air Fryer- We have a Cosori XL basket style air fryer, an Instant Pot Omni Plus oven style air fryer, and a Ninja Foodi air fryer grill. The Cosori air fryer was used in this recipe.
- Rubber Tip Tongs
How to air fry tempura shrimp
Making your shrimp tempura in air fryer is as easy as preheating your air fryer unit, evenly spacing your precooked frozen shrimp tempura pieces, and cooking them for 10 minutes (with a flip halfway through).
Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 minutes. If your unit does not have a preheat feature, simply set it to 400 and allow it to run for 5 minutes.
Spread the frozen tempura shrimp out in the bottom of the air fryer basket, making sure to leave room in between each shrimp.
If you have too many shrimp for your basket, cook in batches.
How long to air fry shrimp tempura?
Cook the shrimp for a total of 10+ minutes until crispy and just cooked through. Flip the tempura shrimp pieces halfway through the cooking time.
Tips for Shrimp Tempura in Air Fryer
- Just like cooking in an oven, we do recommend you preheat your air fryer to ensure even cooking.
- For best results, don’t overcrowd our air fryer with the shrimp pieces.
- It might take 2 batches of cooking to make the shrimp depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Air fryer models can vary slightly in cooking time, adjust the recipe as needed if yours cooks a little hot or slow.
- Trader Joe’s frozen tempura shrimp was used for the recipe but any brand will work like Seapak or others.
You can store cooked tempura shrimp for 1-2 days in the fridge in a covered container.
To reheat shrimp in an air fryer, preheat the unit to 400 degrees for 5 mins. Cook the shrimp in a single layer for 1+ minutes, until just heated through. Keep an eye on them because they will overcook quickly.
More Air Fryer Snacks
💌 Be sure to join our air fryer recipes email list! Every week we’ll send you easy air fryer recipes from our Whole Lotta Air Frying site + our Whole Lotta Yum site! If you enjoy our recipe, please leave us a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ review and leave us a comment too!
Air Fryer Shrimp Tempura (Frozen)
- 16 oz frozen tempura shrimp
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 minutes.
- Spread the frozen tempura shrimp out in the bottom of the air fryer basket, making sure to leave room in between each shrimp.
- Cook the shrimp for a total of 10+ minutes until crispy and just cooked through, flipping after halfway through the cooking time.
© 2023 Whole Lotta Air Frying